Fafa Island Resort is an eco-friendly 3-star property on a private, off-grid island in the South Pacific. We are now looking for a hard-working and reliable Assistant Manager to support our General Manager in the day-to-day running of the island.
This is a seasonal position with an ongoing contract which starts on 1st August 2019. It includes a paid two month training period before you step into the role. We're looking for a longterm commitment, starting with two seasons (of 6-10 months) over the first two years.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Daily administrative management of our busy island office
You will handle a very active email inbox, all aspects of the reservation process from first enquiry to check-in, communication with travel agents and suppliers, prepare guest invoices, check stock and restaurant dockets daily, order supplies and coordinate the island’s shopping. You will also prepare detailed daily schedules for every department and coordinate boat times for guests and staff.
Exceptional customer service for our guests.
You will accompany our guests through check-in and check-out, book tours and excursions, coordinate any repairs needed in their bungalows and speak to every guest, every day, to ensure they have everything they need to enjoy a perfect holiday.
Bookkeeping, wages and payments.
You will record all money in and out of the island, pay fortnightly wages for up to 30 staff members and enter all financial transactions into Quickbooks.
You will ensure up to 30 live-in staff members are exactly where they need to be each day and support them in their roles. You will also help with recruitment of new staff and ongoing performance evaluation and management of our current team.
To be suitable for this role, you must:
- Have at least 3 years experience working in hospitality, administration and/or customer service and be willing to provide 3 references
- Enjoy administrative tasks and have strong attention to detail
- Be able to speak and write English fluently
- Be comfortable using Microsoft packages, particularly Excel and Outlook.
- Be willing to work both early mornings and evenings as well as split shifts according to the week’s roster
- Have strong problem solving skills and good common sense
- Work well under pressure and be able to multitask
- Have a good head for spelling, numbers and basic math
- Be a confident leader and decision-maker with a strong work ethic
- Be fit, healthy and don’t mind walking — there are no vehicles on Fafa Island!
- Feel comfortable living on a small, remote island with the people you work with
- Enjoy being an all-rounder and happy to throw your hand to whatever needs to be done. Island life can be unpredictable!
You get extra bonus points if you:
- Speak any other languages (if one of them is German, even better!)
- Studied Tourism or Hospitality Management
- Know how to use Siteminder
- Have experience working in restaurants, hotels or resorts in remote locations
- Understand Tongan culture or you’ve previously lived and worked in the South Pacific
- Have knowledge or skills relating to construction, carpentry, boat maintenance, solar energy and/or plumbing.